Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for many can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to see a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This information will attempt to answer a few of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do You Need to Eliminate the Old Lawn. Yes, You have to eliminate the old lawn. Taking out the old lawn will make sure that when you plant the brand new lawn the roots can penetrate from the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal ought to be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you need to think about the grade in which your yard currently sits and also the level of soil that you must install for your new lawn. In certain special instances when you could give a layer of brand new soil without getting above grade, you might leave the current lawn set up. New lawns will need a minimum depth of three inches of a well draining soil, abundant in nutrients. Most lawn removals can be completed with the aid of sod cutter, employing a bobcat plus an excavator in hard to access yards may be a hazard and may create more work than initially planned.
Soil For That New Lawn. Soil to your new lawn is extremely important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your new lawn will spot much better growth over the years when a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the greater expensive the soil, the higher quality.
The ideal lawn should be constructed with at least 3″ of any well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain a minimum of 70% sand and also the sub grade should be self draining. Soils that have high volumes of wood chips and organic matter ought to be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and also a strong odor needs to be avoided as well. Generally topsoil today is created from compost, make sure to ask your supplier the items in the soil and ensure the composting process is finished. A soil analysis having a neutral ph balance should be requested out of your supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also know as turf is the preferred approach to installing a new lawn. Sod could be installed all year round and turf farms are ready to accept supply throughout the year.
The range of grass seed or sod to use depends on:
1. The use of your lawn area. This consists of the volume of traffic that the lawn area is put through, including pets and kids.
2. The amount of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive a minimum of 70% in the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures within your climate.
Generally turf that comes from a sod farm or supplier will carry a number of sod that is great for residential usages. Sod farms will grow kinds of grasses that fair well for first time lawns with heavy traffic and shade. Sometimes specialty grasses are accessible for low maintenance. Be sure to ask…
How To Install the Sod. Installing a brand new lawn could be completed using these basic steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls so the seams usually do not match on top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little bit more work and spending a little bit more time pulling the joints from the turf rolls together will guarantee the grass covers all the soil. Should you leave gaps involving the turf rolls, weeds may grow in the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a complicated job in the event you don’t spend the time to do it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into place having a sharp knife. You may niugpu the scraps to fill out other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together with time. You do not have to waste any other turf pieces.
4. Water the sod as you install. Tend not to enable the turf dry out at any point. If the sod is able to dry out, shrinkage may occur on the seams as well as the turf may die. Installing sod on the hot day might require frequent watering so make sure you are prepared beforehand.
5. Roll the new lawn when you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn could be a very rewarding task and offers instant beautification for any property.